Like so many desirable cars, the M Coupe wasn't hugely desirable when it was new -- but it has now become one of the single most sought-after BMW models, with many enthusiasts desperate to get their hands on one. That's especially true of the M Coupe models powered by the S54 engine like this car, as BMW made just 678 of these for sale in North America -- and this engine is particularly desirable given the huge power bump over the earlier, more common S52-powered cars. This M Coupe has a clean, accident-free Carfax report, along with subframe reinforcements, some great equipment, and some desirable modifications, and I'm thrilled to offer this special car on Cars & Bids.
THIS... is a 2001 BMW M Coupe, finished in Titanium Silver Metallic with a black Nappa leather interior.
- The attached Carfax vehicle history report shows an accident-free history.
- This M Coupe comes with service records from the last 10 years, including the installation of a new clutch kit installed within the last 6,000 miles.
- Modifications include a Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement kit, Bilstein B8 rear shocks, H&R front coilovers, stainless steel brake lines, tinted windows, and an older application of paint protection film on various surfaces.
- Factory equipment on this M Coupe includes a limited-slip differential, heated seats, a Harman/Kardon sound system, cruise control, leather upholstery, and more as detailed below.
- According to the M Coupe Buyer's Guide, BMW built 678 units of the M Coupe for the 2001 and 2002 model years, and 113 of them left the factory with Titanium Silver Metallic paint, a black interior, and a sunroof. 2001 was the first year the slightly detuned E46 M3's "S54" inline-6 engine was available in the M coupe.
- Power comes from the "S54" 3.2-liter inline-6 engine, which produces 315 horsepower and 252 pound-feet of torque. Output is sent to the rear wheels through a 5-speed manual transmission.
A build sheet is provided in the photo gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- 17-inch wheels
- Limited-slip differential
- Heated seats
- Leather seats, steering wheel, shift lever boot, and handbrake boot
- Air conditioning
- Harman/Kardon sound system
- Cruise control
- Factory tool kit
- H&R front coilovers with H&R springs
- Bilstein B8 rear shocks with H&R springs
- Randy Forbes Subframe reinforcement kit (Delrin diff mounts, Rogue Engineering diff cover)
- K&N air filter
- Stainless steel brake lines
- 3M paint protection film on the front bumper, half of the hood, mirrors, rocker panels, front of the rear wheel arches, and top of the rear bumper
- Tinted windows
- Non-original rubber floor mats
- Silver wheels from an earlier M Coupe (not Shadow Chrome).
- The seller reports that the hood was replaced with a DOT BMW hood prior to his ownership; the Carfax history report does not reflect any incidents.
- Dent on left rear fender
- Some yellowing of the 3M paint protection film; film ?peeling on passenger mirror
- Some curb rash on one wheel
- Creases on driver's seat upholstery
- Sagging glove box
- Mirror bubble forming on rearview mirror
- Some corrosion noted underneath the car and on suspension components (pictured in the gallery)
Recent Service History
Service documentation in the photo gallery indicates that the following maintenance items have been performed:
- March 2021: Front brake rotors replaced and one brake caliper rebuilt. Brake pads and wear sensors replaced
- May 2019 (66,879 miles): Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement kit installed. Differential mounts and engine mounts changed. Oil cooler and oil cooler lines replaced.
- February 2017: Shocks and struts replaced. Brake fluid flush, and engine oil change. Valve adjustment. Transmission fluid changed. Spark plugs replaced. Air filter replaced
- July 2011 (62,586 miles): Clutch, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch pedal, and associated parts replaced. Brake fluid flushed. Engine oil and filter changed. Spark plugs replaced, and differential fluid changed.
Other Items Included in Sale
- 2 keys and key fobs
- 2 reproduction owner's manuals
- Service records
- Full BMW tool kit in the trunk
- Chilton's service manual for Z3 and M Coupe
The current seller has owned the car for the last ten years and purchased the vehicle with 61,500 miles.
The seller notes that there was a typographical error on the Carfax, showing higher mileage than actual. This has been corrected, and the corresponding documentation is pictured in the gallery.